Jails Safety Padding
Padded Cells and Safety Padding for Prisons, Jails, & the Correctional Industry
Are you in need of a padded jail cell or prison cell to ensure the safety of inmates and staff in your correctional facility? Gold Medal Safety Padding has been successfully used in numerous correctional facilities in the US, Europe, and Australia.
Not only does quality safety padding from Gold Medal help reduce the facility’s potential liability from inmates but it also can decrease the number of potential worker’s compensation claims. And remember – Gold Medal Safety Padding is the only product on the market that provides repair kits for on-site usage by your staff!
What is the purpose of a padded cell in correctional facilities?
Padded jail cells may also be known as padded prison cells, de-escalation rooms, cool down rooms, or seclusion rooms. These rooms are used to create an environment completely removed from outside distractions, facilitating de-escalation within a safe environment. These rooms are typically equipped with floor and wall padding and can also involve impact-absorbing floor tiles and other safety features.
Padded jail cells are typically used when inmates become a danger to staff or self through aggressive or violent behavior toward others or themselves. A padded safety room is a much better option for both the inmate and staff than going to an extreme that could pose harm to the inmate or the staff. Since a padded jail cell is the most humane option for the inmate and staff in these extreme situations you could even say it would be irresponsible to not provided a padded jail cell as an option.
Examples of when a padded cell might be used could include inmates going through a significant detox from alcohol or drugs, an inmate with violent anger issues, an inmate showing signs of a potential suicide attempt, or other behavior that poses a potential threat to the inmate or staff. It is a great option to remove potential risks using a padded cell.
Why are Gold Medal Safety rooms the most common type of padded jail cells installed?
When applied to the floor, walls, and door of a padded room, our safety padding is:
- Class A Fire Rated and Self-extinguishing, as demonstrated by extensive fire testing.
- Virtually indestructible, withstanding attempts to rip, gouge, or otherwise damage. In the unlikely event our product is damaged, our repair kitsare easy enough to use that your staff can do it without hiring a contractor.
- Easily cleaned: detergents will not harm the surface. Our cells are easily maintained to ensure sanitary conditions.
- Padding material is uniform and smooth, with no cracks or open seams.
- The Non-slip surface is smooth and virtually fungus resistant.
- Bond coat is used to completely ensure compatibility with the existing floor.
- Resinous coating is scuff-resistant and long lasting.
- Can be installed in any existing room or be included in new construction.
- Installed on-site by Marathon Engineering’s trained Installation Specialists.
- Assures the protection of individuals with the propensity to inflect self-harm, violent detainees and drug and alcohol influenced patients and inmates.
Does My Correctional Facility Need a Padded Jail Cell for Safety?
In general, you want to use a jail cell if de-escalation and other preventive strategies have failed and there remains the immediate potential for harm to the inmate or other people. We also like the terms “de-escalation room” because ultimately, what we all want is to have inmates calm enough where there is no potential danger to inmates or staff. In other words, padded jail cells should be seen as one of the tools in your de-escalation toolbox.
Of course, all tools should only be used for their intended use. Padded cells should never be used as punishment or to create unnecessary mental or physical suffering. A padded jail cell is meant for SAFETY of inmates and staff. Any tool in the corrections industry can be mis-used and it is important corrections facility administrators create clear and appropriate guidelines of how to utilize a padded jail cell for the good of all involved as well as enforce those guidelines.
Gold Medal Safety Padding has been a fixture in Detention and Correctional Facilities since 1974. We have installed cell padding within Correctional Facilities in all 50 states. Marathon Engineering uses its own, specially trained crew for the initial installation. Gold Medal Safety Padding is the only product on the market that provides repair kits for on-site usage by your staff and faculty!
We would love the opportunity to discuss how a padded safety room from Gold Medal Safety Padding could be the right option for your healthcare facility. For more details on how we can help healthcare or other industrieswith safety padding, please contact us onlineor by phone at 239-303-7378 (USA), or 416-572-7753 (Canada).