Use of a Padded Cell in Psychiatric Hospitals
What is the Purpose of a padded cell in Psychiatric Hospitals?
Padded cells or padded safety rooms are also known as quiet rooms, seclusion rooms, de-escalation rooms, cool down rooms, or calming rooms. These rooms create an environment removing outside distractions to facilitate relaxation or contemplation within a safe environment. They are padded for the safety of the person using the room. For example, our rooms are typically equipped with floor and wall padding and can also involve other safety features. In rooms that have a lower ceiling height
A padded cell in a psychiatric hospital is sometimes the most caring option for the patient and staff, and in those situations, the responsible choice is to provide a padded safety cell as an option. A padded safety room is a better option for both the staff and patient when patients become a danger to staff through aggressive or violent behavior (e.g. some detox situations).
Typical Uses for a padded room in a Psychiatric Facility
- A patient is a danger to self with a significant risk of self-harm or attempted self-harm.
- A patient is a danger to others through violent behavior.
- A patient is a danger to self or others because of detoxifying
- A patient needs a “quiet place” away from distraction to feel calm or safe.
In all, our Gold Medal Safety Padding not only reduces a facility’s potential liability from patients, but it can also decrease the number of worker’s compensation claims by preventing workplace injuries incurred by staff.
Gold Medal Safety Padding for Padded Cells and De-escalation Rooms
Are you in need of a padded room in a psychiatric hospital, psychiatric facility, or another type of healthcare facility? Do you need to ensure the safety of your patients and staff? Gold Medal Safety Padding is in numerous healthcare and psychiatric facilities in the US, Europe, and Australia within their Psychiatric Departments, Emergency Rooms, and Detox Departments or facilities.
Gold Medal Safety Padding® is specially formulated for use in psychiatric rooms where violent behavior may result in injury to the patient or staff or damage to the facility.
- The material assures the protection of individuals regardless if they are at risk of inflicting self-harm, are violent detainees, or are drug or alcohol influenced patients. Our safety padding maintains high integrity that resists damage.
- Our padding assures maximum safety when applied to the floor, walls, and door of the room.
- The padding is self-extinguishing, as demonstrated by extensive fire testing.
- The padding material is uniform and smooth, with no cracks or open seams.
- It has a non-slip surface that is virtually fungus resistant.
- The material is easily cleaned; detergents will not harm the surface.
- A bond coat is used to ensure compatibility with the existing floor.
- The resinous coating is scuff-resistant and long-lasting.
- Our product can be installed in any existing cell or room or included in new construction.
- Our padding is installed on-site by Marathon Engineering’s trained installation specialists.
- Gold Medal Safety Padding has been used throughout the world for over 45 years.
We would love the opportunity to discuss how a padded safety room from Gold Medal Safety Padding could be the right option for your healthcare facility. For more details on how we can help healthcare or other industries with safety padding, please contact us online or by phone at 239-303-7378 (USA), or 416-572-7753 (Canada).